Hi Jim,

The preferred method to add external datasources is the URL-based callback
mechanism as described in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21531983 and
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Internals/Data%20Sources. It has proven
effective for importing data from various data resources using their native
interfaces into any of the many public or private Galaxy instances which exist,
based upon the user's starting location.

Please let us know if we can provide additional assistance.

Thanks for your interest in Galaxy,

Dan