It currently uses a tiny amount of S3 storage just to save configuration
information about your instance.

Long term though we plan to move dataset storage over to S3 as well. EBS
has limits, S3 is more durable and scalable.

Excerpts from Cittaro Davide's message of 2011-10-28 14:32:42 +0000:

--
James Taylor, Assistant Professor, Biology / Computer Science, Emory University