Brad,

> But I think it might be a lot easier to manage if step names were based on
> the titles of the history items instead of "data 2" or whatever.
>
> Has this been tried and rejected for some reason?

It's been tried and rejected because dataset names get very long and unwieldy.
E.g. "Sam/Bam Alignment Summary Metrics on Tophat on Filter FASTQ on
my_rna_seq_reads"

> Would a pull request implementing this change be welcomed?

What we imagine would help is a way to easily show/find a dataset's analysis
path -- its parents and its decendants -- so that it's possible to trace the
datasets/tools used to create a dataset and the tools/datasets subsequently
used.

This is something we'd like to do but haven't put much effort into yet.
Community contributions in this space would be great.

Best,
J.