Can you confirm that the following lines are in your datatypes_conf.xml file?

--
        <datatype extension="fasta" type="galaxy.datatypes.sequence:Fasta"
display_in_upload="true">

If so, the other issue is that you'll need to restart Galaxy in order for the
changes to take hold. Apologies for not mentioning this step previously.

J.