Hi Sarah,

Bjoern is correct. A few other choices are:

We send out a tweet when new tools are added. This isn't automatic, or necessarily for all tools, but something we plan on continuing. If interested, you could follow us on twitter or track the Twitter wiki:
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Galaxy%20on%20Twitter

The "getgalaxy" search will find items in the Tool Shed, as well as other Galaxy areas of developer interest (like the galaxy-dev list threads):
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/News/Custom%20Galaxy%20Search

Best,

Jen
Galaxy team