On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Lukasse, Pieter <pieter.luka...@wur.nl> wrote:

> Hi Peter, Alex,
>
> Thanks for the tips, the stdout is very useful indeed for a small amount
> of information. However I want to display a large HTML report with some
> pictures/plots that will help the user assess the execution of the tool. A
> hidden output will also not work as I want the XML output item to be the
> visible one in the history. ...

Can you embed the HTML report into the XML file, so that displaying
the XML file shows the report to the user (while retaining the nicely
structured data for downstream analysis)?

Alternatively, can you generate the HTML report from the XML file?
If so, you could have a single XML output file, defined as an XML
sub-class in Galaxy, with custom display handling which shows
the user the HTML report instead of the raw XML.

(I'm assuming that externally defined Galaxy datatypes can do
that - if not perhaps that would be worth catering to.)