On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Dannon Baker <dannonba...@me.com> wrote:
>> On a related point, I've noticed sometimes one child job from a split task
>> can fail, yet the rest of the child jobs continue to run on the cluster
>> wasting
>> CPU time. As soon as one child job dies (assuming there are no plans for
>> attempting a retry), I would like the parent task to kill all the other
>> children,
>> and fail itself. I suppose you could merge the output of any children which
>> did finish... but it would be simpler not to bother.
>
> Right now, yes, this would make sense- I'll see about adding it.

Great.

> Ultimately we want to build in a mechanism for retrying child tasks that
> fail due to cluster errors, etc, so it isn't necessary to rerun the entire
> job.

That could be helpful - but also rather fiddly for detecting when it is
appropriate to retry a job or now. For the split-tasks, right now I'm finding
some child-jobs fail when the OS kills them due to running out of RAM -
in which case a neat idea would be to further sub-divide the jobs and
resubmit. This is probably over-engineering though... KISS principle.