Hi,
First, Sorry but, I'm a newbie with Apache and my questions will certainly
appear stupid.

To configure apache2, I've followed this wiki :
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Apache%20Proxy
And I write these instructions :

<Proxy http://localhost:8080>     Order deny,allow     Allow from all
</Proxy> RewriteEngine on <Location "/">     # Define the
authentication method     AuthType Basic     AuthName Galaxy
AuthUserFile /home/nate/htpasswd     Require valid-user     # Take the
$REMOTE_USER environment variable and set it as a header in the proxy
request.     RewriteCond %{IS_SUBREQ} ^false$     RewriteCond
%{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} (.+)     RewriteRule . - [E=RU:%1]
RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{RU}e </Location> RewriteRule
^/static/style/(.*)
/home/nate/galaxy-dist/static/june_2007_style/blue/$1 [L] RewriteRule
^/static/(.*) /home/nate/galaxy-dist/static/$1 [L] RewriteRule
^/favicon.ico /home/nate/galaxy-dist/static/favicon.ico [L]
RewriteRule ^/robots.txt /home/nate/galaxy-dist/static/robots.txt [L]
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://localhost:8080$1 [P] </Location>

But several problems appeared when I launched my Galaxy.

First, must this instructions block be in the file apache2.conf or in the
file default of sites-available directory ?
If it must be in the file default, is it between the <VirtualHost> tags or
out of these tags ?

Second, I've created an htpaswd file in my home directory, but when I
launch galaxy, it doesn't request me a login and password but it says me
that Galaxy requires an user authentification and it must be an error in my
apache configuration.
Is it a problem with the instructions or with their place in configuration
file ?

Third the line </Location> appears two times in your instructions but it's
wrong for apache. I've deleted the first but I'm note sure that Rewrite
instructions must be in the <Location> block.

And finally, I want to work with severals web processes and I want to add
this configuration lines :

<Proxy balancer://galaxy>
</Proxy>

Must I add to previous lines and where ? or Must I replace certain lines of
previous block and if yes : which lines ?

Thank you very much.

Julie