On 06/12/2012 04:04 PM, Joachim Jacob wrote:
Hi Hans-Rudolf,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

To summarize:
1. user information is stored in the database (histories, pages,
workflows). This info is linked to the datasets,
2. all datasets are in the '../database/files' (or the location
specified in universe_wsgi.ini) directory, and
3. all configuration files are located in the root of Galaxy.

So would it be feasible to run the postgresdb not locally, but on a
separate machine, to which I connect the freshly installed Galaxy?
Then I can also keep the datasets directory on a network share, which is
mounted to the fresh install.
[perhaps other directories can also be accessed over the network, such
as the toolshed tools directory].

No, don't share the postgresdb and the datasets. Two different galaxy installations accessing the same postgresdb and the datasets will cause troubles.

Hence, I have step 6 and 7 in my procedure, to make sure all the data accumulated during the test phase gets 'replaced' with all the data the users continue to produce on the old production server.

The configuration files is perhaps the most difficult part. these have
to be merged. But perhaps I could use mercurial for this? Seems a
powerful way to do this.

Yes, to some extend, see the ".hgignore" file

Regards, Hans

Joachim.

Joachim Jacob, PhD

Rijvisschestraat 120, 9052 Zwijnaarde
Tel: +32 9 244.66.34
Bioinformatics Training and Services (BITS)
http://www.bits.vib.be
@bitsatvib