Hello Joachim,

On Sep 27, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Joachim Jacob wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a test, I have uploaded some template files to a newly created repository
> on our test toolshed.

This is great!  It's good to hear when the Galaxy community is using local tool
sheds within their environments.

> I pulled that repository on my development machine using mercurial: from this
> folder I start now developing the tool wrapper.

This is a great approach because the tool shed is not a source code repository
for developing tools, so development generally takes place within an
environment running a development Galaxy instance.  When the tool development
is stabilized and the tool's functionality is proven to be correct within the
Galaxy development instance, the tool and all of it's associated files can be
uploaded to the tool shed for sharing with others.  Treating the tool shed as a
source code repository for tools while they are in development will undoubtedly
result in undesired behavior by the tool shed.

> I have noticed that once the tool name has been set in the tool config (<tool
> name="xxxxx" >) during the initial upload, pushing a subsequent change to
> this name, this does not change the name on the repository anymore (and the
> other settings, for this matter).  Is this correct?

I'm not quite clear on your question here.  If by "tool config" you mean the
Galaxy tool config wrapper (e.g., my_tool.xml), the tool shed never makes any
changes to them when they are uploaded to a repository in the shed.  The
repository in the tool shed is just an enabler for sharing what is there.
Changes to the content must be made in your development environment and pushed
to the repository in the tool shed.

The name of the tool shed repository itself can be changed only until the first
clone occurs.  Once a clone occurs, the cloned repository path includes the
name of the repository, so if it was subsequently changed in the tool shed,
those that cloned it previously could not get updates to their local clones.

Greg Von Kuster