Hello Clare,

On Oct 16, 2012, at 1:02 AM, Clare Sloggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I managed to break a toolshed-installed tool by fiddling with the
> files under shed_tools.

As you've discovered, this is not a good thing to try.  Always use the Galaxy
interface features to perform tasks like this.

> This led to a situation in which the Galaxy
> admin interface claims the tool is still installed, but can't find any
> files for it. I manually put the repository files where I think they
> should go, but this didn't fix the situation, so what I really want to
> do is just get rid of it altogether and reinstall cleanly. I'm not
> certain that the tool was working properly before I fiddled with it,
> either.

Depending on the changes you've made, you should be able to do the following:

1. Manually remove the installed repository subdirectory hierarchy from disk.
2. If the repository included any tools, manually remove entries for each of
them from the shed_tool-conf.xml file ( or the equivalent file you have
configured for handling installed repositories )
3. Manually update the database using the following command (assuming your
installed repository is named 'bcftools_view' and it is the only repository you
have installed with that name) - letter capitalization is required:

The following assumes you're using postgres:

update tool_shed_repository set deleted=True, uninstalled=True,
status='Uninstalled', error_message=Null  where name = 'bcftools_view';