Hi Vladimir

I contacted with this question vendor tech support (Dell), but they
could not answer (or did not want to) and directed me to Galaxy
developers. I am using RHEL58 and SciLinux55 and want to install a local
instance of Galaxy. Both my systems are based on Python 2.4. Question –
can I install Python 2.6/2.7 locally without messing up the system? I
was advised earlier not to make system install, but being unhealthy
curious I did and ended up with reinstalling SciLinux 55 from scratch.
How to make sure 2.6/2.7 will not mess up the system’s Python?

just install Python 2.6 somewhere in on your box (ie in the parallel to the galaxy directory) and follow the steps described under: "Check your Python version" on this wiki page:
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Get%20Galaxy

I recently just did it for one of our development boxes (which has Python 2.5) to allow galaxy to run with Python 2.6

Regards, Hans-Rudolf

Thanks,

Vladimir