Apologies, I didn't see that the file was binary. You're right - my suggestion
will only help if your file is tabular. One simple option is to provide an
RData to tabular converter for now.

Currently, I think your approach is the best way given the binary dataset. In
the future, it'd be nice if dynamic options allowed a function to be used for
retrieving options from a dataset.

Best,
J.