This has been confusing for me  also. Perhaps if we had a way to
distinguish between
the two by prefixing the tool version of a wrapper with "w0.0.5" and the
actual tool version with "v1.3.0"?
I think that Galaxy determines the versions of the tools it loads at
startup in lib/galaxy/tools/__init__.py ToolBox::__add_tool_to_tool_panel()

- log.debug( "Loaded tool id: %s, version: %s into tool panel." % ( tool.id,
tool.version ) ) -

Also check out class Tool which is in the same file...probably requires a
bit more code reading to fully understand the underlying
layers in question...