output_step_id and input_step_id are both foreign keys to the workflow
step table.

For example, the first row defines a connection between the output
named "output" of workflow_step id=1 to the input named "input_file"
of the workflow_step with id=2. The input and output names come from
the tool associated with the workflow_step.

--
James Taylor, Assistant Professor, Biology/CS, Emory University