Hi Dannon,

Thanks for the fast reply

On 5 February 2013 14:49, Dannon Baker <dannonba...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric,

The threading.Thread issue indicated below has been fixed (the changeset is
> already available in galaxy-dist) and isn't eclipse-centric.

Ok somehow I didn't get this update from
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-dist even today.

> From eclipse, how are you launching galaxy?

I installed a Mercurial plugin in Eclipse, checked out from '
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-dist"; ran ./run.sh one time to download
the Eggs necessary, installed the eggs in my eclipse PYTHONPATH and put
paster.py serve universe_wsgi.ini in a run configuration.

The running of galaxy works nicely, my logs are handled by Eclipse and
breakpointing works. So I was quite happy with everything, until I asked
PyDev for a Code analysis.

It turns out that PyDev did not understand the Bunch() classes like
"model.Job.states.QUEUED", but also functions in classes that don't have
self as a variable or udefined variables that are called. Probably in real
life this is not a big problem, because galaxy is running quite flawlessly,
so maybe I just misconfigured PyDev.

Because of this I was curious if more people tried the "Eclipse way" or
maybe another IDE with debugging enabled. Because I think an IDE can be a
great advantage over text-editor developing.

> Personally for debugging I've found it easier to use the debugging
> middleware for anything that happens inside a web transaction (sometimes
> intentionally raising an exception just to kick out to it), and a simple
> addition of 'import pdb; pdb.set_trace()' for creating breakpoints that I
> can work through via pdb in the terminal.

Yeah maybe it's better just to debug this way but it feels a bit low tech
with all the nice PyDev features in Eclipse.

Thanks again,

Eric