Hi Bassam,

Next, this isn't necessarily an error. And was the full line really this?

nohup: ignoring input and redirecting stderr to stdout

This is more of a linux issue than a Galaxy issue, but I'll give some feedback and others can comment as well (or a google will bring up many threads on the topic). Basically, this is just a stderr warning and can be ignored. IF you should be using it - nohup isn't for all jobs.

Personally, I use it for data processing sometimes (general use, not part of running Galaxy), but I think I am the only one (here!), since there are other options to keep processes detached from individual sessions. It is a habit. I see this all the time and the job keeps on running. I could redirect the stderr to /dev/null but I usually just ignore it (lazy = type less characters). But I don't admin our Galaxy server either and wouldn't consider using it for that purpose. Which is why I am posting to the mailing list, where the admins can comment.

On your system, the process might have actually run - this message has nothing to do with it running or not. But you want to be careful - if the process is interactive (requires a password), you don't want to use nohup and redirect both stdout and stderr. I don't know what command you ran, but you can do a few things to check to see if the process is running:

See if the nohup.out file is keeping a log of some sort of the job (if it is still running, or if it quit and put output here):

$ more nohup.out

See what jobs are running in the current session:

$ jobs

See what jobs are assigned to the Galaxy user, you can do something like:

$ ps -u galaxy

Check to see if what you asked the process to do has been done, or check the other galaxy logs for activity along those lines.

I am not sure if this is helpful or not, but perhaps will point you in the correct direction (linux command help/usage) where you can find out more.

Take care,

Jen
Galaxy team