On Feb 15, 2013, at 10:45 AM, greg wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to do my first update on my local galaxy install (it's been
> a few months at least since I installed)
>
> I'm trying to follow the instructions here to update the code:
> http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Get%20Galaxy#Keep_your_code_up_to_date
>
> My first question is how do I roll back if something goes wrong in the
> upgrade?

Hi Greg,

Collect your current changeset with:

% hg parents
changeset:   8563:a4113cc1cb5e
tag:         release_2013.01.13
parent:      8529:ce62bf5a91f8
user:        Daniel Blankenberg <d...@bx.psu.edu>
date:        Thu Jan 10 14:57:37 2013 -0500
summary:     Fixes for Tool.check_and_update_param_values_helper() to check
that the type of value provided is valid for the input parameter currently
declared. Fixes an issue where rurun would select the wrong input dataset.

Update:

% hg pull
% hg update release_2013.02.08

Migrate:

% sh manage_db.sh upgrade

Pay attention to whatever the first revision you are migrating from is.
Probably 109 if you were at the 1/13 release.

If you need to downgrade:

% sh manage_db.sh downgrade <old_db_version>
% rm lib/galaxy/model/migrate/versions/*.pyc
% hg update <old_changeset>

> My second question is that this page
> http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/DevNewsBriefs/2013_02_08 says that I
> need to do something to get onto the stable branch?  Right now when I
> run hg branch it says default.  I'd prefer to be on stable.  Any idea
> what I should do? (and again how can I roll back to the code i have
> now if something goes wrong?)

The stable branch is new, so your old clone won't have it until you pull new
changesets.  As long as you do `hg pull` rather than `hg pull -u` and then
explicitly update to the release tag or stable branch (`hg update
release_2013.02.08` or `hg update stable`), you'll be on the stable branch.

--nate