No, you need to follow the documentation in the relevant sample loc file -
not name individual index files.

(Your loc file had already been edited then. Be warned that if the
bwa_index entry in tool_data_table.xml file has also been hacked to change
the field definitions, all bets are off)

The bwa_index.loc created the first time a fresh Galaxy checkout is run is
copied from tool-data/bwa_index.loc.sample - there you'll find the
documentation, which suggests that

ecoli\tecoli\tecoliLongNameDescription\t/Users/charlesmurphy/Desktop/Research/data/genome/ecoli/bwa/ecoli.fa

should work after a restart and a fresh reload of the tool in your browser
so the new data are loaded from the loc file - assuming the Galaxy user has
permission to read those index files of course.

If not, it's time to read the suggestions in the wiki about providing more
details when posting questions to the list!
eg what Galaxy release (eg hg heads), OS, platform, python version etc....