I'm trying to figure out how to reduce the data stored on the galaxy server.

I came across this page and it looks like data will get deleted if the
history element gets deleted but I can't tell if this happens
automatically or if I need to cron these scripts:
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Performance/Purge%20Histories%20and%20Datasets

Is there anything else I can do to clean up unused data?

Also is there a way a user can keep her history around as a record of
what was done and be able to rerun it later, but still delete the
actual data?

Thanks,

Greg