Hello all,

I'm exploring a <conditional> example where I would like to group some
of the select values into a single <when> clause. Currently it seems
each value requires its own <when> which leads to duplication and
worse.

For example, I'd like to do something like this:

                <conditional name="id_opts">
                        <param name="set_operator" type="select"
label="Source of sequence identifier list">
                                <option value="SINGLE">Single file - want
sequences listed in ONE
tabular file</option>
                                <option value="UNION">Union - want sequences
listed in ANY of given tabular files</option>
                                <option value="INTERSECTION">Intersection -
want sequences listed in ALL of given tabular files</option>
                        </param>
                        <when value="SINGLE">
                                <!-- We don't need a repeat for one file -->
                                <param name="input_tabular" type="data"
format="tabular"
label="Tabular file containing sequence identifiers"/>
                        </when>
                        <!-- exactly what syntax would be best the for next
line unclear -->
                        <when values="UNION,INTERSECTION">
                                <repeat name="identifiers" title="Tabular
file(s) with sequence
identifiers" min="2">
                                        <param name="input_tabular" type="data"
format="tabular"
label="Tabular file containing sequence identifiers"/>
                                </repeat>
                        </when>
                </conditional>

But instead I am forced to use:

                <conditional name="id_opts">
                        <param name="set_operator" type="select"
label="Source of sequence identifier list">
                                <option value="SINGLE">Single file - want
sequences listed in ONE
tabular file</option>
                                <option value="UNION">Union - want sequences
listed in ANY of given tabular files</option>
                                <option value="INTERSECTION">Intersection -
want sequences listed in ALL of given tabular files</option>
                        </param>
                        <when value="SINGLE">
                                <!-- We don't need a repeat for one file -->
                                <param name="input_tabular" type="data"
format="tabular"
label="Tabular file containing sequence identifiers"/>
                        </when>
                        <!-- Seems must repeat the same options for both UNION
and INTERSECTION -->
                        <when value="UNION">
                                <repeat name="identifiers" title="Tabular
file(s) with sequence
identifiers" min="2">
                                        <param name="input_tabular" type="data"
format="tabular"
label="Tabular file containing sequence identifiers"/>
                                </repeat>
                        </when>
                        <when value="INTERSECTION">
                                <repeat name="identifiers" title="Tabular
file(s) with sequence
identifiers" min="2">
                                        <param name="input_tabular" type="data"
format="tabular"
label="Tabular file containing sequence identifiers"/>
                                </repeat>
                        </when>
                </conditional>

This has a major usability downside in that when the user switches
from UNION to INTERSECTION, any previously entered values for the
<when> parameters are lost.

Is this something that has already been enhanced, or is the wiki page
accurate regarding the current inflexible <when> behaviour?
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/ToolConfigSyntax

I can see how to avoid the issue where by splitting this 3-way select
into two separate parameters, but that feels more awkward.