Von: Peter Cock [mailto:p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2013 11:59
An: Berner, Thomas
Cc: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Betreff: Re: [galaxy-dev] Blast+: new feature filter/mask... by taxid before
job in one task

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Berner, Thomas <thomas.ber...@jki.bund.de>
wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We recently installed NCBI BLAST + to our local Galaxy instance and
> now we need to provide the possibility to filter/mask . by taxon id
> (taxid) using the command line option (-window_masker_taxid) of BLAST (cf.
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1763/) before the  job will be
> performed in one task.
>
> However searching in the documentation and the mailing list, I did not
> find anything about this.
> So it would be great to provide the possibility to subselect by taxid (e.g.
> NCBI BLAST server http://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi) by changing
> the BLAST integration.
>
> We believe this could be of common interest. It would be great if
> anybody could comment on this.
>

> Thanks a lot, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Full support allowing making your own database with taxid support will be more
complicated - but using databases setup via the *.loc file (e.g. a downloaded
copy of the NR database) ought not to be too complicated. I think we just need
to add another integer parameter under the advanced options to set the
-window_masker_taxid value. Would that be enough for your needs?

I wrote the NCBI BLAST+ wrappers but this is starting to turn into a team
effort. There is a lot of other work in progress on extending the Galaxy BLAST+
wrappers further - I'm setting up a meeting with the other people already
working on this during the GCC2013 - perhaps this should be a listed BoF
session?
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Events/GCC2013/BoF

Regards,