Dan,
Do these readers support gzip files?

       reader = fastqVerboseErrorReader
        reader = fastqReader

Do I have to define a special type in galaxy for gzipped files or will the
fastq type be ok?

Ideally, I would like to keep my files zipped and not have galaxy unzip them,
since they triple in size when unzipped.

I'm happy to do a push request if you don't support this but I want to make
sure I'm in line with your roadmap.

I have written a simple tool to convert Illumina fastq to mapsplice fastq. Does
that already exist already somewhere?

-Robert