Ben,

In the specific case of the RSEM repository, the tool shed code has determined that the rsem-1.1.17.xml tool definition file will not load correctly into Galaxy, and for that reason the repository is not considered to be installable. The 'Search and browse tool sheds' feature on the Galaxy side filters the list of repositories to those that are determined to be installable.

For more details, see the wiki page for the tool shed at:

http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/RepositoryRevisions#What_does_it_mean_when_repository_metadata_is_associated_with_a_change_set_in_the_repository_change_log.3F

   --Dave B.