On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM, James Taylor <ja...@jamestaylor.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Additionally, it is not recommended to run functional tests on a production
>>> instance, since the test suite alters a number of configuration settings on
>>> the fly, with the result being that it is not a reliable test of the exact
>>> production environment, which may give misleading results.
>>
>> Hang on - is that a short term warning? We *want* to run the
>> functional tests on our production Galaxy precisely to check
>> the tools are installed and working there.
>
> How are you doing this currently? I can understand running the tests
> in your production Galaxy environment, but they should always be run
> with a separate database and files directory.

Exactly, using run_functional_tests.sh should be creating a
temporary one off database (without touching or even reading
the main database), and only using temporary directories
for its files (without touching the real user data on disk).
Apart from this recent bug, that has been working, right?

There's a separate issue about which *.loc files to use,
I would like *.loc.sample to be used during testing:
http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-dev/2013-April/014370.html

Regards,