Why the dislike for quick turnover? Could somebody present the arguments for
people not having been at the BOF?

People don't have to upgrade - unless its breaking changes that e.g. disable
the possibility to download from the public toolshed which forced me to upgrade.

The alternative to frequent releases are not better tested and documented
releases. I think its impossible for the galaxy team to test on all the diverse
configurations
galaxy is deployed on. Then you really have accumulated many bugs, feedback
from users comes in at once creating coordination need for developers going all
at once into bugfixing mode for features they have worked on months ago etc…
Then the fixes for these bugs also come only with the next release which is
still many months away etc….  This makes it necessary to split development into
major releases (say once a year) and minor, bugfix, releases (1-2 months after
the major)  - where is the gain for the users?

I would not even split things between breaking changes and minor changes. I
think this slows down development of the platform and what concerns
people most, the tools, are developed independently of the platform and one can
upgrade them any time.

To give an example, the job_config is now much better than before and its good
that I did not have to wait months from its development to deployment at our
site.
Now small additional features like setting the number of threads dynamically
are suggested, and then I would have to wait again many,many months until the
next release.

Upgrading galaxy was o.k. and while its unfortunate to have to learn new
settings and remember the old ones from sometimes not so good (but improving!)
documentation,
there is no way around it. I think I will now upgrade more often, because it
went so well. I like "release early, release often".

best,
ido