I am not aware of Galaxy having any sort of login hook as you
described --- without writing custom code. This brings up the added
challenge of keeping your custom modifications current with the latest
release of galaxy.

Another approach, and I am not sure how feasible this is on your
setup, is to create all these added services during the user
creation[1] process. On our HPC cluster this is the method we
implemented. All our users can use SFTP, rsync, BBCP, etc to upload to
the cluster and the user moves their data to galaxy by the "FTP
Trick[2]" to their "dropbox" folder that galaxy has access to. Once
data is moved to the dropbox folder, users login via the galaxy web
interface and select the data via the Get Data -> Upload File
interface.

This might be a simpler approach, create these services for each new
user during their account creation. You will be forced to use the
command line interface to create new users, but I believe its far
simpler then using postgres notify or the other methods you described.

[1]: http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/user-creation-using-API-td4657726.html
[2]:
http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/user-names-with-authentication-td4659271.html

--