Phil,

Galaxy uses a number of ways to resolve tool dependencies, some of which may be useful in your situation:

1. If a tool dependency entry exists in the database that matches the name, type, and version, it attempts to load tool_dependency_dir/package_name/version/repository_owner/repository_name/changeset_revision/env.sh

2. If not, it looks for tool_dependency_dir/package_name/version/env.sh or tool_dependency_dir/package_name/default/env.sh

3. Even if no env.sh is found in the above steps, it attempts to run the command defined by the tool, using executable files from $PATH, python modules from the python path, and so on.

If none of the above locations contains the package or module required by the tool, it will of course not run successfully.

For more details and step-by-step instructions on configuring your Galaxy installation with tool dependencies, see http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Tool%20Dependencies

Also, a list of software used by Galaxy standard tools can be found at http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Dependencies

   --Dave B.