Hello all,

Bjoern and I were talking about doing some work on more
datatype definitions, but this raises the question about how
to handle dependencies.

First of all, complex datatypes in Galaxy are defined using
Python code, so any Python dependency must be available
to the main Galaxy process (unlike Python dependencies
for jobs which are run on separate processes). For example,
if I wrote GenBank/EMBL definitions using Biopython, could
this dependency be handled via the Tool Shed?

Second, the Python code for some datatypes may call a
binary command line tool. For example, I was thinking of
using the blastdbcmd binary within the BLAST database
file format definitions to provide more useful peek
information. Again, how could this dependency be
handled via the Tool Shed?