Hi Nathan

Do you have many tools working with those samples or just a few? If you only have a limited, predefined set of tools you might wanna consider adding the sample selection into the tool.

You can use the from_file, or from_data_table options to dynamically create sample selection list. You can even drill down a hierarchical list. Have a look at
~/tools/annotation_profiler/annotation_profiler.xml
which uses the file
~/tool-data/annotation_profiler_options.xml

All you need to do is keeping the file in sync with the directory structure of your samples directory

Regards, Hans-Rudolf