On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Bjoern Gruening wrote:
> On 21.10.2013, Peter Cock wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Bjoern Gruening wrote:
>> >
>> > In the meantime you can use a code file to check your variables. Please
>> > have a look at our wip DeSeq2 warpper:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/bgruening/galaxytools/tree/master/deseq2
>> >
>> > or the excellent blog post from Ross:
>> >
>> > http://cloudimaging.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/input-validation-in-galaxy.html
>> >
>> > Hope that helps,
>> > Bjoern
>>
>> Yes, a helper Python script linked via the <code> tag containing
>> a validate_input function may work here - thanks Bjoern :)
>>
>> However, according to the wiki the <code> tag is deprecated :(
>
> Yes :( But I don't think it will go away really soon. To much tools
> using it and no alternative is available.

Thank you for those example links Bjoern.

Ross mentioned on the blog post that we should see a
"Log messages" popup from printing with the validate_input()
function - I didn't, should that still work?

I also found if I returned a non-empty dictionary in error_map
(even with no error messages) then this was treated as a
failure.

Even with some working code to refer to this wasn't very
straightforward, but I managed to get this to work:

https://github.com/peterjc/pico_galaxy/commit/fee450c0bcee6935cc3e65da3e3281e96800f1b7

(I would love to write some unit tests for error conditions,
something we talked about at GCC2013, but sadly that is
still not possible yet.)

Regards,

Peter

P.S. I wonder if the <code> validate_input function is still
used when running a tool via the API...