On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Jean-Francois Payotte
<jean-francois.payo...@dnalandmarks.ca> wrote:
> Dear Galaxy Gurus,
>
> I have been requested to find a way to tag each job (created when running a
> workflow) with a "Project ID".
> The user would have the possibility to enter a "Project ID" (maybe as a
> workflow parameter) and then, some mechanism would link all of these jobs
> with the "Project ID".
>
> Ultimately, the goal would be to create reports on our computer resources
> utilisation (total CPU time each project consumed). This would be really
> helpful in understanding the costs associated with the projects analyses.
> I know I can use the "job_runner_external_id" to retrieve the actual CPU
> usages but I still need to find a way to associate the jobs with the
> "Project ID".
>
> As of now, I don't see any *clean* way to do this.
> Anyone would have an idea on how I could implement this feature?  Or tell me
> if it's not possible at all?

Hello Jean-François,

Is it important to allow histories that correspond to multiple
projects? If not, you could use the history tagging functionality to
tag each history with something like "Project:0001". You should be
able then to link jobs to histories to tags and build queries for this
information.

The other downside to this approach is that histories aren't forced to
have a tag - so the responsibility for tagging falls on the users. In
some institutions/scenarios that might be fine, others it might be
problematic.

I know other people have wanted to do something like this, so
hopefully there are some other ideas out there as well.

If there aren't ideal solutions to this, perhaps a Trello card should
be created for something like: "Implement workflow-wide actions
including option allowing each generated dataset to be 'tagged' based
on workflow parameters."

I don't think you are the only one who would be interested in this
functionality and of course pull requests are of course welcome as
well :).

> Many thanks for your help.
> Galaxy is just incredible!

:)