Hi David

Using "Data Libraries", as suggested by Martin is definitely the way to go. Especially if you want to use the files with different tools.

However, if you have a predefined set of tools, you might wanna consider adding an extra tools which reads and process the files, eg: you have your raw fastq files in a central location and you always do the same pre-processing steps. For such a case, I recommend using the "dynamic_options" attribute. This allows you to present a list of files, which you can then select from and do the processing on.

May I refer to a similar question for the details on how to implement this:

http://tinyurl.com/6uom4uo
(I can give you more details if interested)

Of course, you can go to the extreme case, and just trigger a copy of the selected file into your history. But this will end up in data duplication and you wanna avoid this.

Regards, Hans-Rudolf