I'd like to contribute what I've learnt today to this particular page.
As it is "locked", I am unsure how to contribute my information, so I'm
posting here in the hopes that someone with rights will update it.
Formatted in (pandoc compatible) Markdown for your ease.

# Configuring ProFTPD with OpenLDAP

I've found a set of working options for using ProFTPD with OpenLDAP
servers (instead of AD).

This configuration file can be modified and placed in
`/etc/proftpd/conf.d/galaxy.conf

Using the /conf.d/ directory, you can allow the ProFTPd to serve both
local users (with PAM authentication) in the main configuration file,
AND galaxy users on another port.

```
<VirtualHost xxx.yyy.zzz>
        RequireValidShell       off
        User                    galaxy
        Group                   galaxy
        Umask                   137 027
        AllowOverwrite          on

        # Ensure auth is LDAP
        AuthPAM                 off
        AuthOrder               mod_ldap.c

        # Serve this VirtualHost on port 4000
        Port                    4000

        # LDAP Bind information
        LDAPServer              ldaps://xxx.yyy.zzz/??sub
        LDAPUsers               "ou=People,dc=yyy,dc=zzz"  "(uid=%u)"
        LDAPAuthBinds           on

        # Force those numbers even if LDAP finds a valid UID/GID
        LDAPDefaultUID          1003
        LDAPDefaultGID          1003
        LDAPForceDefaultUID     on
        LDAPForceDefaultGID     on

        # Please generate home dir with user/group rwx permissions.
Could probably be stricter
        CreateHome              on 770
        LDAPGenerateHomedir     on 770

        # Force this homedir even if LDAP said something different
        LDAPForceGeneratedHomedir               on
        LDAPGenerateHomedirPrefix
"/home/galaxy/galaxy/database/ftp/%u...@cpt.tamu.edu"

        # The username is already incorporated in the %u, use this or it
will get appended again
        LDAPGenerateHomedirPrefixNoUsername     on

        TransferLog             /var/log/proftpd/xfer-galaxy.log

        # Cause every FTP user to be "jailed" (chrooted) into their home
directory
        DefaultRoot
"/home/galaxy/galaxy/database/ftp/%u...@cpt.tamu.edu"
        # Allow users to resume interrupted uploads
        AllowStoreRestart       on
        # I set these as my passive ports because I run a very strict
firewall. Change as needed
        PassivePorts            49152 50000
</VirtualHost>
```

Notably, this configuration allows a galaxy virtualhost to coexist with
the normal FTP capabilities provided by ProFTPd, so users can still
access their home directories AND galaxy users can upload to galaxy.
Authentication can of course be changed to suit one's needs.

# TLS Configuration

If you're running the galaxy FTP portion under a VirtualHost, like
described above, you'll notice that TLS directives placed in the main
proftpd.conf file do not apply to VirtualHosts. As such, you can add a
section that looks like this to every VirtualHost that needs to be secured

```
<IfModule mod_tls.c>
        TLSEngine                       on
        TLSLog                          /var/log/proftpd/tls.galaxy.log
        # Your cert and private key
        TLSRSACertificateFile           /etc/ssl/certs/my.crt
        TLSRSACertificateKeyFile        /etc/ssl/private/my.key
        TLSCACertificateFile            /etc/ssl/certs/ca.bundle
        # I've found that this is required for FileZilla
        TLSOptions    NoCertRequest EnableDiags NoSessionReuseRequired
        # Most clients won't be sending certs
        TLSVerifyClient                 off
        TLSRequired                     on
</IfModule>