On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM, John Chilton <chil...@msi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not for me though, even if I rename the masking "file" param to
>>> avoid the ambiguous "file" parameters ...
>>>
>>> I find that changing the order of the <extra_files> tags in the test seems
>>> to alter the failure - which supports my hunch that something is
>>> scrambling the order of the extra files, so that it fails to compare the
>>> generated blastdb.phr with the provided four_human_proteins.fasta.phd
>>
>> John's replies via Twitter:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/jmchilton/status/402436500131807232
>>> @pjacock Hard to argue with @travisci but your makeblastdb
>>> test works unmodified on my box and I can reorder the extras.
>>> I'm still looking..
>>
>> https://twitter.com/jmchilton/status/402446372231581696
>>> @pjacock Got it, you are overriding display_data in blast DB
>>> datatypes. This breaks much! Is how the test framework/API/etc
>>> access datasets.
>>
>> There may be trouble ahead... the current display_data override
>> is to give some meaningful output to the user when they click
>> the "eye ball" icon for a BLAST database - rather than something
>> unhelpful and scary like a blank page.
>
> I didn't implement any of this composite dataset stuff so I am just
> guessing on best practices here, but is the right thing to do here
> switch from 'basic' to 'auto_primary_file' ? Just generate a file that
> just includes the content you want to display and set that as the
> primary file - I think this might be better practice than overriding
> display_data. If you want that file to a log if it is available that
> is fine, if files are uploaded an optional log could be available and
> you can provide a default fallback if unavailable in
> generate_primary_file/regenerate_primary_file. If you do insist on
> overriding display data, than you should at least allow fallback to
> what the super class would do if (filename and filename != 'index').

I see, so my (dummy) primary file could just a small text file
saying "This is a BLAST protein database." or similar - and
that would let me reproduce the current behaviour?

The only possible downside I can see right now is wondering
what happens to existing histories containing old BLAST
databases created with the current code... but that will sort
itself out eventually with some user inconvenience.

Who is the composite file architect (for their thoughts)?

Regards,