Hi,

the best start for using the API, that you found already, is the
documentation that, with a nice introduction, is nicely available here:
https://galaxy-central.readthedocs.org/en/latest/lib/galaxy.webapps.galaxy.api.html

Regarding libraries your main controllers of interest are: *libraries*,
*library_contents*, *folders, **folder_contents* - *please beware that
folders API is considered work-in-progress and will probably be deprecated
in future releases.*

If you want to test how the API behaves you can use something like Postman
extension (
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/postman-rest-client/fdmmgilgnpjigdojojpjoooidkmcomcm?hl=en)
for chrome or other browser that allows you to nicely simulate API calls.

As of your error make sure that your local Galaxy, that you are trying to
connect to via API, runs on the 4096 port that you specified for the script
(by default local Galaxy runs at port 8080 - see universe_wsgi.ini for
config changes).

Thank you for using Galaxy and let us know how it goes!

Martin, Galaxy Team