On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> FAO: Administrators of local Galaxy instances using the NCBI BLAST+ wrappers.
>
> Over on the galaxy_blast repository I have been updating the
> NCBI BLAST+ wrappers (including unit tests) to work with the
> current release, NCBI BLAST+ 2.2.28 (aka BLAST 2.2.28+):
> https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast
>
> The initial set of changes is now on the Test Tool Shed,
> http://testtoolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/peterjc/ncbi_blast_plus
>
> This includes a workaround for a known regression in the
> makeblastdb tool dealing with duplicated identifiers:
> https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/commit/349e31c6cec4429c5523fde5975e28e399e0dfb1

For the record, this wasn't actually a regression, rather an
old "bug" or corner case I'd not noticed before - BLAST+
lets you create databases with duplicate identifiers, which
can give very confusing output:
http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/blast-should-keep-its-blordid.html

> In terms of end-user features, the big improvement in the
> BLAST+ 2.2.28 release was the ability to get the BLAST
> match descriptions in the tabular output, and other fields:
> http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/blast-tabular-missing-descriptions.html

This update is already on the main Galaxy Tool Shed,
and we've been running it locally without any problems.

Regards,