On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM, John Chilton <jmchil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tool Developers,
>
> Haven't known when to send this out, but I figure since you haven't
> received any e-mail from me today it might be a good time.
>
> tl;dr - Tool functional tests experienced a significant overhaul over
> the last release and will continue to change over the next couple
> releases, but in a backward compatible so hopefully you will not need
> to care unless you want to.

Thank you John for this detailed report - I knew bits and pieces
from prior discussions, but still found this recap very useful.

I'm now taking advantage of the new environment variable to test
with both GALAXY_TEST_DEFAULT_INTERACTOR=api (the new
framework) and GALAXY_TEST_DEFAULT_INTERACTOR=twill
(the old framework) under TravisCI, see:

https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/commit/b9db5c9edc57314c5ab4122bce0b00fa2f9cfb94
https://github.com/peterjc/pico_galaxy/commit/ceed9e0698989b7a617d75d6c483fa28ae61b333
http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/using-travis-ci-for-testing-galaxy-tools.html
http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-dev/2014-March/018677.html

The BLAST+ tests are fine both ways, but there appears to be a
unicode issue with the API based testing of pico_bio (twill is fine):
https://travis-ci.org/peterjc/pico_galaxy/builds/21008616

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xbe in position
847: ordinal not in range(128)