Hi Peter,

Thanks for the bug report. It looks like if requests is available to
the framework these unicode errors go away (it doesn't have to fall
back on my poor attempt to provide a similar interface).

https://github.com/jmchilton/pico_galaxy/commit/e7d37f31951d8e729cfdbda0ca9085feb7f2da73

I'll create a Trello card and try to add an egg for this - other
developers on the team have likewise said they would like a requests
dependency available in the past so I doubt there will be objections.

-John

P.S.

It looks like the ftype changeset has already caught some errors (your
sample_seqs tool only produces fasta outputs but some outputs are
labelled as sff):

https://travis-ci.org/jmchilton/pico_galaxy/jobs/21036295