Hi,

This is mainly a message to Carlos and Eric who volunteered to get
involved with my Debian packaging, but of course any other help will
also be appreciated.  If either of you can spare time now it is a good
moment to do so.

I've been working on my package stuff over the last couple of weeks and
have uploaded the latest to Debian-Med ready to build:

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/galaxy/trunk/debian/?view=log

Note that you need the re-packed tarball as generated by
get-orig-source.sh and if you have a problem generating that you can
grab a copy of it here:

https://launchpad.net/~nebc/+archive/galaxy/+files/galaxy_1.bl.py27.20140210.orig.tar.xz

I've only built this for Ubuntu, and I know that to get it working on
Debian you'll at least need to replace the upstart job with
an /etc/init.d script.  After that I think you should have something
working (see my commit notes).

My latest efforts have been to try and get tool-shed installs working.
Galaxy expects to be able to write to its own shed_tools_*_conf.xml
files as well as to shed_tools and the tool-data directory.  It looks
like there is work to have a separate shed_tool-data folder but this is
not fully working so I'm seeing if I can patch it.  Either way, it's
vital for packaging that the files managed by DPKG and the files
(over)written by the Galaxy server are separated out into /var and /usr
respectively.

Cheers,

TIM