I think you need to hack up the Galaxy code to accomplish this. There
is information on how to start doing this in the following thread I
think:

http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/FTP-Problem-Users-cannot-see-their-uploads-files-tp4619709p4662701.html

This may just work for admin users though, I don't recall. It is
hopefully a helpful start though.

-John