I'd want to open up discussion on a feature I'd like to see. I'll try
and implement it if I can find time this summer. I didn't see a trello
card for anything like this yet, but please feel free to direct me there
if I missed it.

I'd like to see citations as a part of every tool.

This would happen in the form of a <citation> block in the XML, which
would contain sub-elements with text. These sub-elements could be based
off of BibTeX, since they have existing specs for citing things:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BibTeX

These citations would then be accessible in the HTML generated tool
pages, or via a View/Download button somewhere on the tool page. By
storing as an XML tree, we could render these citations as BibTeX
entries for the LaTeX users, and I believe there are ways to convert
BibTeX to EndNote XML and so on.

This could be extended for use in workflows so that when you run
workflows, somehow a list of citations for all tools used could be
generated.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on this?

Using the example bibtex entry from the wikipedia page:

@Book{abramowitz+stegun,
 author    = "Milton {Abramowitz} and Irene A. {Stegun}",
 title     = "Handbook of Mathematical Functions with
              Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables",
 publisher = "Dover",
 year      =  1964,
 address   = "New York",
 edition   = "ninth Dover printing, tenth GPO printing"
}

I imagine it'd look like the following in a real-life tool:

<tool>
  <citation type="book">
    <author>Milton Abramowitz and Irene A. Stegun"</author>
    <title>Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and
Mathematical Tables</title>
    <publisher>Dover</publisher>
    <year>1964</year>
    <address>New York</address>
    <edition>ninth Dover printing, tenth GPO printing</edition>
  </citation>
</tool>

Cheers,
Eric