Will,

Nice! I follow the tex.SE and missed that one. That's incredibly useful.
I believe the final implementation will include both options (doi/citation)

Jim,

Great, agreed. I want to represent non-published/non-DOI materials, so
this is better than restricting to DOI-only materials. PROV + dublin
core would be good for a reference implementation and we can build
outwards from there if we need special entries. My background of LaTeX
pushed me in BibTeX, but these are definitely better options in terms of
generalising the implementation.

Cheers,
Eric

- --