Hi Iyad,

Thanks for posting configs! I'm very curious how this actually works for
you.

I'm running the API scripts from the galaxy server itself, and I made
requests to http://fqdn/galaxy/, http://localhost:####/, and
http://localhost:####/galaxy/

The request to the fqdn unsurprisingly fails as apache answers it, and
apache requires authentication. Both of the localhost requests also fail
(403), indicating that galaxy was forbidding me due to lack of a
REMOTE_USER variable being set:

> Galaxy is configured to authenticate users via an external method
> (such as HTTP authentication in Apache), but a username was not
> provided by the upstream (proxy) server.

- From my tests, I conclude that the routes under /api/ also have the
requirement on REMOTE_USER being set. (Maybe a dev can chime in on
this?) I'm fairly certain the only way to get the /api/ route to work
with the apache config presented is to statically set REMOTE_USER, such
that it's always a valid galaxy user. You don't set a static REMOTE_USER
variable in your apache config, so when galaxy is serving requests from
outside users, in my understanding, the REMOTE_USER var will be unset,
and galaxy should refuse to answer it.

Cheers,
Eric

- --