From: Björn Grüning <bjoern.gruen...@gmail.com>
To: Stef van Lieshout <stefvanliesh...@fastmail.fm>,
galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu, Dave Bouvier <d...@bx.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] R bioconductor dependencies when creating
toolshed installation
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 17:37:24 +0200

Hi Stef,

Am 17.06.2014 15:40, schrieb Stef van Lieshout:
> Hi Bjoern,
>
> That looks much better indeed ;) The only problem I still have then is
> that I need R 3.1.0 for a bioconductor 2.14 package (have send a new
> mailing list msg for that). Looking at the xml of other versions it's
> not something I will easily do myself.

If you can wait a little bit we (the IUC, or more concrete Dave Bouvier)
will take care of that and create such a repository.

> What will happen if I do not specify the R dependency ("package_r_3_0_3"
> in your example code) but do specify the download/install of packages,
> guess these get installed in the "default" R instance?

Puh, to be honest, I do not know. I never tested it without a real
instance. I guess it will pick the default version.

> Related to that, how can I call a specific instance of R in de tool.xml
> without specifying the full path to the tool. Eg, in the tool.xml I now
> do:
>
> <command>
>    /path/to/lib/R/R-3.1.0/bin/Rscript
>    /path/to/galaxy-dist/tools/testdir/tool.R $config
> </command>
>
> Where normally you can do:
>
> <command interpreter="Rscript">
>    tool.R $config
> </command>

You should always use the latter version, without a path to R. Setting
the correct path or assuming the default should be handled by Galaxy.
The correct R version will be created with the <requirement> tag. You
can specify 3.1 as soon as we have it :)

You can thank Dave for the new R packages, he spend much time in
creating a big R binary that can run on almost all architectures.

Cheers,
Bjoern