Hi Pat,

Briefly, to get galaxy uploads working, you need to do the following:

1. Install an FTP server.  The FTP server can be on the same/different host
than galaxy but must be able to access the "ftp_upload_dir"
2. Configure the FTP server to authenticate users.  This needs to be the same
user ID as the galaxy user ID. For example: user id -> iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca
3. Configure the FTP server to create a folder in "ftp_upload_dir" that has the
same name as the user that logged into the FTP server. For example: user id ->
iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca   directory is ->
galaxy_dist/database/files/iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca/

The link you posted takes briefly describes how to configure ProFTPd, which is
an FTP server, to work with Galaxy.  Unfortunately, the page is somewhat random
as it describes steps for some operating systems in detail but leaves out the
details for other operating systems.

On a redhat/centos operating systems, you install proftpd using:

sudo yum install proftpd

On Debian/Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install proftpd

The configuration file that the tutorial refers to is /etc/proftpd.conf

I hope this helps get you started.

Regards,

Iyad Kandalaft
Bioinformatics Programmer