Hello Julie,

  This is odd - sorry.

  I might be worth uninstalling and re-installing this in the tool
shed admin options - in particular ensure you install tool
dependencies and that this installation process succeeds.

  Otherwise -  it might be worth trying to put some debug statements
in the fastq groomer tool to try to track down the problem. Here
(https://gist.github.com/jmchilton/2d61f7ab81d99a0f02fc) is a diff to
have that tool write out the run-time value  PYTHONPATH to Galaxy's
home directory - it might be worth running a job, finding the output,
setting PYTHONPATH to that value on the compute node and attempting to
just import it directly.

cd $HOME; python -c "import galaxy.sequences.fastq"

  Out of curiosity - what job runner are you using (local, DRMAA, etc...)?

-John