Hi Nik,

sorry for my late response.

Am 09.07.2014 01:23, schrieb Nikhil Joshi:
Hi Bjorn,

So I actually don't use the toolshed at all, we have a galaxy AMI that I
update and maintain. We have many of the canonical tools, but we also have
many custom tool interfaces on there, some of which I wrote. We also use
the latest version of the tool if possible. All of the XML files are local
to the instance and are not from the toolshed. I am referring to the
version that is used in the "<tool>" tag. That version number seems
arbitrary and the students that use our Galaxy are constantly confused as
to why the tool page has a different version than the tool itself.However,
it seems like there is no easy way to remove that part, so I think I will
just have to update the version numbers myself.

Please remember you are then forced to maintain the tools all by your own and integrate changes from upstream by your own. I'm not sure that is worth the effort.

What would be the best way
to have multiple versions of a tool *without* using the toolshed? Any help
is highly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think that is possible at all. In the end that is one reason the Tool Shed project was started. To make it possible to have many different tool versions and to spread the maintenance burden over the entire community.
Have a look at the galaxytools repository, maintained by several people:
https://github.com/bgruening/galaxytools

We accept PR and you are very welcome to work with us to improve the tools, in the end I really think it will save you some time.

An other really easy possibility is ... just remove the tool-version from the HTML rendering. If you are not afraid of maintaining in house patches, that should be fine and will take time, I guess.

Cheers,
Bjoern

- Nik.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Björn Grüning <bjoern.gruen...@gmail.com>