Hi John,
           What I've implemented on our local system is the user uploads their
data, then automatically a workflow is run on that data (so the user doesn't
need to select a tool to execute). I email the user once the job is complete
with a link to that the user can download the results. I auto get the download
results using the api i.e:

~/scripts/api/display.py api_key
http://barium-rbh/capaibl/api/histories/1cd8e2f6b131e891/contents/f68b550c4724eeae

This returns something like:

Member Information
------------------
accessible: True
file_name: /export/barium-data3/galaxy-suvr/database/files/000/dataset_421.dat
visible: True
file_size: 521
file_ext: html
id: f68b550c4724eeae
misc_info:
uuid: None
download_url:
/capaibl/api/histories/1cd8e2f6b131e891/contents/f68b550c4724eeae/display
state: ok
display_types: []
display_apps: []
misc_blurb: 521 bytes
data_type: html
deleted: False
history_id: 4181f0f3af1244e2
genome_build: ?
hid: 120
visualizations: []
metadata_data_lines: 17
metadata_dbkey: ?
name: Processing input data (0171-T0-AV45)
model_class: HistoryDatasetAssociation
purged: False
api_type: file

>From this I get the "download_url" and add the server name to it and an
>extension to get:

http://barium-rbh/capaibl/api/histories/1cd8e2f6b131e891/contents/f68b550c4724eeae/display?to_ext=html

Which i add to the email. When the user clicks on it they are able to download
the zipped up files. However, they can only do this after first login into
Galaxy otherwise they get a "API Authentication Required for this request"
error on the webpage.

Neil