Eleanor,

Can you please clarify if starting galaxy worked when you did:

. ./galaxy_env/bin/activate
cd galaxy_dist
sh run.sh

If it didn't, activate the python environment and run:

pip-2.6 install pycrypto
- or -
pip install pycrypto

If I recall correctly, the init script shipped with Galaxy does not activate
the python environment.
I modified the init script to issue a login sudo in order to source the
environment.  In .bashrc, I have it source the python environment.  This
ensures that the python environment is always activated before galaxy is
started regardless of how I start it.

Iyad Kandalaft
Bioinformatics Programmer
Microbial Biodiversity Bioinformatics